Saturday, January 30, 2010

What It Feels Like to Be Alive

The parachute did not open....because I did not sky dive. YET. Weather prevented us from doing so in Taupo, but it is definitely on the agenda for Franz Josef, where I intend to jump over a glacier!!!!

I have done so much else in the past few weeks that I find it nearly impossible to put it all down in words. Other than biking all over New Zealand, making friends from all parts of the world and sleeping in bush camps that overlook lakes that are so beautiful they should be illegal, I have done hundreds more crazy and exhilarating activities.

Crossing over to the South Island, we biked to a hilltop lodge where we woke up the next morning to go for a special sunrise white-water rafting tour. Having been told that sitting in the front of the boat is by far the scariest, when Chunk, our guide for the day, asked if there were volunteers for the job, I shot my hand up and screamed, "me!" Sitting in the front, I paddled away, braving three stage five rapids and jumping off a cliff into the raging river below. After our ride, we hopped on the bus and drove to our campsite for the night, where we set up our dinner of fresh salmon on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. There, we spotted two wild hectare dolphins and decided on a whim to strip our clothes off, racing down to the freezing waters and jumping in with the dolphins, riding the waves with them as they literally whizzed beneath our feet, happily playing with their newfound gang of friends. When we left later that evening to watch wild penguins return home from their day at sea to feed their chicks, I did not think it could get any better. But watching 118 penguins waddle out of the water and fluff their feathers to cool off left me in complete awe yet again.

Another night in an amazing bush camp overlooking the most pristine, blue lake I have ever seen and a hike up the amazing Mt. Cook to a glacier lake with floating icebergs followed the next day. Amazed at the sights, we stopped in town to stock up for our three-day trek. Complete with packs, sleeping bags and food, we set off on the Routeburn track, hiking through enchanted forests, past stunning waterfalls and up to our first hut, nestled into a mountain valley and beside a cool, blue lake. The second day we ascended more to the summit, hanging off cliffs and reaching the top of Conical Hill with the single most stunning view I have ever seen. Getting to our hut around five that day, we relaxed on the stony river bed and marvelled at our 30-some kilometer achievement.

Coming off the Routeburn, I felt so alive. I was sure the high couldn't get any better....and then I decided to jump off a 134 meter gondola suspended over a canyon. Once determined to never bungy, I gave in to Queenstown's enticing label of "Adventure Capital of the World". And after I finally decided I HAD to do it, I figured, "why go for the little guy when you can go all the way?" So instead of opting for the standard height of 40 meters, I chose the third highest bungy in the world. We were taken out on a cable car to a teetering glass-bottom gondola and I looked down, thinking, "I am seriously mental". After sitting me down in a dentist chair and wiring me up, I made my way out onto a tiny, narrow platform and before I knew it, the man behind me was counting, "3...2...", and suddenly I spread my wings like Superman, diving, plummeting down to earth. The first few seconds were shock, horror, thinking "this is SO wrong!" but the wonderful thing about this extra high bungy is that it gives you the extra time to reach the point at which you are no longer scared, just giving in to the thrill, the feeling of euphoria and peace that suddenly comes over you as the adrenalin courses through your veins and you feel more alive than you ever felt before. In short, I LOVED IT. And now I am an addict. I want to go again...but for now, I'll have to stick to planning my sky dive. After all, it is NOT a cheap sport!

Today we head out of Queenstown after a rager last night! I am SO excited for the next adventure! For those of you who were praying for my chute to open, thanks...but I think it's a waste of breath really. Because I plan to do it again and again and again. Life is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Are you CRACKED !!! Maybe you feel more alive but you're killing me. My heart is racing with fright now. I have a friend that completed his 123rd sky dive this past July . He called to tell me he won't be doing another as he lost two of his closest companions that dive. Their chutes did not open!! Seriously !!!!! Please be careful !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete