Sunday, January 10, 2010

HELLO AGAIN, DEAR FRIENDS!!!






I’m SO SO SO sorry to neglect this blog; the issue is that I haven’t had any real adventures lately so I guess I just figured, “no one really wants to read about my boring life…do they?” Basically, the last few months have consisted of me returning to Sydney, looking desperately for a job to replenish the funds in the bank account, finding one at a darling little café in the bustling work district of North Sydney, working my butt off from 8-4 waitressing (yes, waitressing…you read that right), and planning my trips to New Zealand and Fiji! On weekends, I have spent much of my time doing the rest of the tourist things in Sydney…including trips to all the markets, big and small, more hikes with my cherished friends Tom and Denis (including snake spotting number three, a poisonous death adder!), a big night out on the town with my co-workers at the best Chinese restaurant and poshest bowling alley on the planet, dog-sitting in the most exclusive neighborhood in all of Sydney, home to Nicole Kidman and the richest of the rich, hikes alone through the Australian bush in the pouring rain, visits to the contemporary art museum, Sydney’s world famous New Year’s spectacular, and the recent Sydney Festival, complete with performances by the legendary Al Green and exotic dancers from all over the world!

It was exciting…and even the waitressing gig, which I promised I’d never do, was actually not as bad as I thought. Sure, I had to touch people’s dirty plates and deal with anxious customers or complaints about the food being too hot or too cold or too big or too small (for the most part, though, they were pretty good cuz our food is awesome!). But I put on that winning grin and did my best, earning me enough for a trip to New Zealand.

And tomorrow I set off to Auckland on a late flight, where I’ll explore the city, meet up with an old high school friend, and then later in the week begin on a 28-day-tour of New Zealand, both North and South Islands. As most of you know, I’m not your traditional “tour girl”, but this tour is everything I could ever want—the option to hike or cycle EVERY day, including a three-day trek on one of the world’s greatest routes, white-water rafting, zorbing, cruises through fiords, penguin-spotting, and camping under the stars every night. SO my type of tour. Not your “hop on the bus, let’s drive from point A to point B” kind of gig. This is the real deal, experiencing the natural wonders of New Zealand from an active point of view. And I’m thrilled. I could not be more excited to start this leg of my journey.

Due to limited internet access, I don’t know how often I’ll blog, but I’ll try as often as I can. Thanks to those who continue to check up on me, even if I’m not always good about writing. The adventure is beginning again, so thanks for coming along for the ride!

And to those of you in the States…I’m home March 1st!!! Come celebrate with me in Chicago!!! All my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment